Meet Our Providers
Dr. Miller realized even when she was beginning medical school that she wanted to practice medicine with an openness to all approaches that had proven potential to make people healthy.
The victim of a car accident, Dr. Miller suffered with pain for two years, at which time a nurse referred her to a physician who practiced acupuncture. After ten visits, she had found results that had eluded her with conventional medicines and physical therapy. Following medical school, she wanted to serve her residency at an institution that would further her knowledge of integrative medicine. She chose the Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale. Along with her residency training, she learned acupuncture at UCLA and trained at the University of Arizona, Tucson, under Dr. Andrew Weil, the world-renowned leader and pioneer in the field of integrative medicine.
A few years later, when Dr. Miller’s husband came to Birmingham to work at UAB, Dr. Miller started her medical practice in Birmingham, meeting her professional goal of integrating scientific and natural approaches to health care for her patients.
- University of Missouri, Columbia, BA in Intradisciplinary Studies: Biology, Chemistry, Psychology
- University of Missouri, Columbia, School of Medicine, MD
- Mayo Clinic, Scottsdale, AZ, Family Practice residency
- UCLA Helms training program in acupuncture
- University of Arizona, Tucson, studied under Dr. Andrew Weil
- One month elective in North Carolina in alternative medicine
- American Board of Family Medicine
Jewels began her nursing education with a holistic approach to healthcare as a result of her own journey to health. She found herself shuffling from one doctor to another battling different gastrointestinal, skin, and fatigue issues. One year and lots of failed doctors’ appointments later, she decided to pursue an alternative medicine approach to her own health. She attributes her new found health to changes in diet and lifestyle, a supplement regimen, her faith, and the guidance of alternative medicine providers. The dramatic improvement in her health has lead to her calling to empower others to live a truly healthy life.
Her education as a nurse practitioner allowed her to seek out opportunities to learn from various practitioners of integrative medicine across Atlanta. In addition, she has trained directly under Dr. Miller for nine months. Jewels’ training has taught her to look at a person as a whole in contrast to looking at each organ individually. She is devoted to finding and treating the root cause of illness while guiding patients to a healthy mind, body, and spirit.
- Kennesaw State University, BS in Psychology and Biochemistry
- UAB, BS in Nursing
- UAB, MS in Nursing, Family Nurse Practitioner
- Rotations include women’s health, internal medicine, family medicine, integrative medicine, and pediatrics
- RN experience in cardiology and medical-surgical care