Meet Our Providers
Melanie Miller, MD
Dr. Miller realized even when she was beginning medical school that she wanted to practice medicine with an openness to all approaches that had proven potential to make people healthy.
The victim of a car accident, Dr. Miller suffered with pain for two years, at which time a nurse referred her to a physician who practiced acupuncture. After ten visits, she had found results that had eluded her with conventional medicines and physical therapy. Following medical school, she wanted to serve her residency at an institution that would further her knowledge of integrative medicine. She chose the Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale. Along with her residency training, she learned acupuncture at UCLA and trained at the University of Arizona, Tucson, under Dr. Andrew Weil, the world-renowned leader and pioneer in the field of integrative medicine.
A few years later, when Dr. Miller’s husband came to Birmingham to work at UAB, Dr. Miller started her medical practice in Birmingham, meeting her professional goal of integrating scientific and natural approaches to health care for her patients.
- University of Missouri, Columbia, BA in Intradisciplinary Studies: Biology, Chemistry, Psychology
- University of Missouri, Columbia, School of Medicine, MD
- Mayo Clinic, Scottsdale, AZ, Family Practice residency
- UCLA Helms training program in acupuncture
- University of Arizona, Tucson, studied under Dr. Andrew Weil
- One month elective in North Carolina in alternative medicine
- American Board of Family Medicine